Lupita Nyong’o called out a fashion magazine for an unauthorized edit of her cover photo that changed her hair.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Nyong’o was “disappointed” that Grazia U.K. Magazine used a photoshopped image, which wrongfully showed her with straight hair pulled back into a ponytail. The botched picture perpetuated the stereotype that “Black hair” or kinky strands do not fit ideal beauty standards, the “Black Panther” actress, 34, said in an Instagram post Thursday.
Nyong’o rebuked colorism as part of a demeaning pattern of prejudice aimed at Black women. The incident brings to mind longstanding issues that dark-skinned women of color have had to face when it comes to conforming to European notions of beauty.
In response to the actress’ complaints, Grazia U.K. released a statement on Twitter.
The magazine’s statement did not explain exactly how the offending mishap happened with the cover photo.
This is far from the first time that Nyong’o has been vocal about the mistreatment of Black women. The actress came forward about a disturbing encounter with Harvey Weinstein, who is surrounded by a storm of sexual assault allegations, in a blistering op-ed for The New York Times last month.
- Jeezy Makes Corporate Moves And Mentors Young Rappers
- Swizz Beatz Graduates From Harvard Business School [VIDEO]
- Should You Have To Bring Snacks To Share At Work If You Never Eat Any? [EXCLUSIVE]
- How LiAngelo Ball & Teammates Are Paying For Shoplifting Incident [EXCLUSIVE]
This Is Why Rihanna and Lupita Need to Join Forces
1. This is the photo that has everyone talking.1 of 7
2. Lupita is down.2 of 7
3. Perfect premise.3 of 7
4. We need this film greenlit, asap.4 of 7
5. Just in case the film doesn’t happen.5 of 7
6. Our money is ready now.6 of 7
7. Jay Z, Weinstein Bros….Wya?7 of 7